Friday, September 22, 2017

Dancing in the Rain

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."

I woke up to a storm today. What a bummer. My day off with just my kids. I couldn't wait to tell My bigger boy that we could do whatever he wanted today! (Except play the iPad. Sorry kid, there's a whole world out there!).

Our whole world has been waking up to a storm lately, hasn't it? Either on the news or threatening your town, your home, and all that you have worked for.

Storms scare me. I sleep through them or hide from them. They may be innocent, but I just never know when they will get bad. I have definitely never, ever, been inclined to dance in a storm. Dance? I won't leave my covers! I never liked that quote above. For starters, who even said it? I see it credited to many different people. Another thing, just because a quote is set on a pretty graphic, doesn't make it wise.. Unless it's from Jesus. Or God. Or Sheila Walsh or Ann Voskamp. Then it is guaranteed wisdom. Beyond that, I think we need to watch what we read and watch what we believe about what we read.

Ok rant over.

Because.

I'm learning to dance in the rain. There. I said it. My 17 year old self would be so proud.

However, before you start rolling your eyes, please know, the dance looks different than I ever thought it would. This isn't a hop, skip, and twirl through puddles. No, it takes on a few odd forms:

Interpretive: As I make way through difficult and weird communication with my husband. As I try to discern what the Lord requires of me each day.

Hip Hop: Playing wildly with my two boys even when my heart is breaking. Having so much gratitude for their sweet little faces and their jeweled eyes.

“Even in laughter the heart may ache, and rejoicing may end in grief.” -Proverbs‬ ‭14:13‬ ‭

Ballet: Rare moments when someone will take the kids so I can shower, put on make up, read a book in the quiet. Feeling pretty. Feeling peaceful. Feeling light.

Waltz: 1, 2-3; 1, 2-3....finding joy in the daily routine. It's predictability, security.

Square: Being a part of a community. Finding comfort with my small church family, belly laughter with lifelong friends. Being held up and held together by family. Watching support come from unexpected places and generosity and love pour out of hearts onto mine and my children. Friendships forged in the fire. What a gift!

And isn't it all just a two-step with our Savior? Leaning into His strength when I have none. Following his lead when I am blind to the next step.

“But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” -2 Corinthians‬ ‭12:9-10‬

If we wait for the storm to pass, we may miss the gifts that are waiting in the rain. But don't go out there unprepared, Pollyanna. Bring your boots, your coat, your umbrella. Your armor of God (the storm edition). But, we can get out from under the covers, from the pantry, off the couch. We can live life, we can make it through this storm and even carry others through their storms. We've got Jesus in the boat.

But seriously, every dance requires the right shoes, don't forget your rain boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment